Greg Stolze: Forums

Discuss Greg Stolze's recent works
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Last night, I saw the laptop of the future in a dream. No, seriously!

I've got the white MacBook, which is great except that the edge of the keyboard base really chafes my wrists while I type. The laptop in my dream had the keyboard split in half and rotated for ergonomics... but the essence was the screen. You'd type stuff or do whatever and it'd appear on the screen... but when you wanted to print, you just pulled the screen off. The screen was paper - must've been something like this e-ink stuff.

In the cold light of day, I can see how freaking tough this is. You essentially need something that can put impermanent ink on a piece of paper as fast as a CRT can refresh a TV screen. Alas. I guess that's why they call them dreams.

-G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:40 pm 

GregStolze wrote:

I've got the white MacBook, which is great except that the edge of the keyboard base really chafes my wrists while I type. The laptop in my dream had the keyboard split in half and rotated for ergonomics... but the essence was the screen. You'd type stuff or do whatever and it'd appear on the screen... but when you wanted to print, you just pulled the screen off. The screen was paper - must've been something like this e-ink stuff.

In the cold light of day, I can see how freaking tough this is. You essentially need something that can put impermanent ink on a piece of paper as fast as a CRT can refresh a TV screen. Alas. I guess that's why they call them dreams.

-G.

Whenever electronic paper becomes viable the entire publishing industry will alter in the way we're seeing paradigm shifts in music, film and television.

Maybe people will return to reading, that's be a great thing.

I was greatly disappointed to see that Borders is faltering and open to a Barnes and Noble buyout. Apparently, only one individual makes the purchasing decisions for all non-genre fiction for B&N. One person. This person has Oprah power. If B&N bought out Borders, one person would lord over all non-genre fiction.

That, to my mind, is a very bad thing indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 am 

GregStolze wrote:

It wasn't necessarily that fantastic just your brain preparing you for one of the future's many developments via optimised subliminal cues.

No shit, really.

Cheers,

Chris.