Greg Stolze: Forums

Discuss Greg Stolze's recent works
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 pm 

People of the Greg Stolze forums, I give you a thread to discuss pets, pests and all things in between, because well... we need some activity here.

Me, I have two cats, mother and son, both with black fur, though mommy's got a white patch on her throat. They seem content to sleep, kick each others asses and ruin my furniture.

The mother is an anti-social bastard who growls at her son, hits you if you try to pet her and will move if you come too close to her. This all changes when you go for a walk. Then she's all over you and will follow you anywhere you go. There's just no way to shake her. The son is nervous, snuggly, incontinet and possibly brain-damaged due to a nasty fall on the head as a kitten.

Though they can both be quite a burden I love them with all of my heart. Does that make me a sucker?

Billie: I'm of legal age for whiskey, voting and loving. Now the next election is two years away, and my love life ain't getting much better, so how about some of that one-hundred-percent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:57 am 

Ooh, ooh! I can be active!

My wife and I have a betta (commonly known to the world as a siamese fighting fish) and a spotted python. It's been remarked by our friends that both our pets are vicious, cold-blooded, solitary predators.

The fish is bright blue, and named Mulder (after the fact that his tank sat around empty for ages before we got him - X-files fans will know where this is going). The snake is named Shesha, after Shesha Naga - the eight-headed snake in Hindu mythology that balances the world on each head for a while.

Pictures are available on request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

When I lived in Syracuse, there was a macabre and tragic news event with a big pet constrictor... can't recall if it was a boa or a python. Anyhow, some people had a really big snake and a really small child and, well, wound up with neither one.

On one hand, it seems like kind of a dumb mistake to make (something I'm sure the unfortunate parents have thought every day since), but I suppose you get so used to your pets that you never think of them doing something like eating your baby.

-G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:22 am 

It's a surprisingly common thing among snake owners (who, in Australia at least, need a special license) - not getting your children eaten, necessarily, but getting blase about the animal and getting badly injured or killed as a result.

Just a few months ago there was a bloke over here who got royally sloshed and left his amethyst python out of its tank. Seeing an apparently easy meal, it choked him to death and tried (unsuccessfully) to swallow him.

The consensus in Brisbane's reptile-phile community was that it was a good thing no-one suggested putting the snake down. After all, choking things and eating them was exactly what it was supposed to be doing with its time.

As a post-script, just how much travelling have you done, Greg? Every time I read one of your anecdotes it comes from a new and exotic place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I grew up in Iowa, went to college about a fifteen minute drive from my home, across the border in Illinois. During college, right before the first Gulf War, I spent a quarter in Europe. (Mostly London, Rome and Munich, with side trips to Venice, Paris and Florence. I got badly lost in Copenhagen the last night there -- the most lost I've ever been, which is saying a lot. I didn't know the name of my hotel, where my passport was, I didn't have any money, couldn't speak the language -- was not, in fact, sure what the language was. Incidentally, while I was there it was during the runup to Gulf War I, so the US dollar was at an all-time historical low against many European currencies, and our London hotel was on the same block as the Iraqi embassy. We found our way home by watching for the policeman posted out front. And -- true fact! -- every man I ever saw go into that door had a Saddam mustache.)

Also in college I spent a summer in Seattle working as an intern at Fantagraphics comics. (Another mind-growing experience -- going from being the most liberal guy around to being the most conservative guy around, without changing a single attitude. That and finding a loaded gun in the boss' bag as he was heading for a convention.) Graduated college, got married, moved to Syracuse New York for two years while my wife was in college (where we adopted a brindle cat with six toes on each foot, named "Sniper" for its tendency to jump on you whenever you turned your back) then moved to Aurora, Illinois (where I found out the reason I'd been having hacking coughing fits was that I was allergic to Sniper. We gave him to my mom, who renamed him "Toast"). I live in Aurora to this day.

-G.